Polka Dot Wooden Nail Polish Rack

10.16.2012



The month of September has been spent in spring cleaning...as it is fall. So I guess we can call it Fall Cleaning...vs Spring Cleaning? Fall-ing Cleaning?Sprall Cleaning? We get the point.

Well, I'm at the stage where Im scanning loads and loads of documents and magazine pages that I have saved over the "years"...so that I can empty out some "Itso's"...
If you are not familiar with Itso's...check them out here.

 After everything, I decided to do something a little fun. I decided to complete my nail polish rack that I have been putting aside for ever. At least that would empty out a box too!
I made it out of foam board. Such a fun experience...but not the greatest turn out. 
I tried it (3) times! Nope...didnt work out for me.
Either I'm too strong for this material or it's too weak for my polishes. 
The next morning, I went to Home Depot! I bought this great flat plywood called "Tri Ply" underlayment (base board)...& since the option is available, I also had THEM cut it for me!
It went great.



All you need are the following items:

- Flat Plywood Base Board (1) 28" x 22", (9) 22" x 2" and (2) 28" x 2" (don't expect them to come out perfect! If you do, bring sanding paper and blister band-aids)
- Wrapping Paper / Scrap-booking Paper works great also!
- Glue Gun
- Glue Sticks
- Elmer's Extreme Glue Stick
- Scissors
- Skinny Itty Bitty Tiny Nails
- Hammer :)
-Gloves, if necessary (I hardly ever use them; but if you need them: Use Them!)
- If you are under the age of 18, please ask an adult to assist you with this project 
....... or you can buy one from me; just send me a message with your request.

Step 1: Base the Wrapping Paper onto the Base Board (28"x 22") and glue the ends to the back of the board with the Elmer's Extreme Glue Stick. I used wrapping paper and since it wasn't wide enough I cut a (2) pieces of wrapping paper to fill in the rest of the board. So what you can but make sure that it lies flat and even.

Step 2: Start warming up your glue gun.

Step 3: Hammer down the cut -28" x 2"- pieces onto the sides of the main board with the "skinny itty bitty nails". I did about (6) on each side. Be careful because the board is thin!

Step 4:  Measure the length of your longest nail polish so that you know how your spacing will work. Grab your glue gun and glue one of the -22" x 2"- onto the board. Again, make sure you know the spacing of your nail polish height length so that you know it will fit! Repeat for all 8 pieces. I saved an extra piece for the last step. 

Step 6: Move the pieces back and forth to make sure they DO NOT move. Add a little bit of glue to the corners and to the sides so that it will prevent from moving.
Step 7: The last step is that last -22"x 2"-. We're going to wrap that with wrapping paper and place that at the very top of the board. Sort of like a "title" to your project. Right at the top. I will be storing extra little items that I use when I do my nails up top, so I need that space for "storage". 

Step 8: Wait until it dries completely! I would recommend waiting about 2-4 hours but if you are just like me...30 minutes should suffice :) 

Step 9: (After a few days I added this step because of a big "no-no") 
With really small itty bitty nails, nail down all & each sides of the racks (no need for the back side, only if you want to)

Then, VOALA! You've got yourself a DIY nail board. <3 Thank you for joining me! Love you all.


For Sale @ My Store. Email me for any Inquiries & Rates.
Love, Adri.

Subscribe to BornOriginGal